John ILLSTON age 30 years buried July 31st 1864. No headstone.

 To The Memory Of

 My Beloved Husband

Robert John IRWIN

Who Passed Away on Christmas Day 1903

  Aged 50 Years

After 33 Years Service


Robert J Irwin aged 48 and his wife Annie were living in Eperney? Villa in Hound according to the 1901 census. He was a barrack warden, presumably in Netley Hospital. Robert was born in Ireland.

In Memoriam


Benjamin Richard JAGOE A.B. M.D.

Surgeon A.M.D.

Died April 5th 1880 aged 31 years


Thou Will Be Done


Burial no 578 Church of England

To The Memory Of

Charles Owen JAMES

Major 83rd Regiment

The Eldest

And Beloved Son Of

Captain John James

Formerly Of The

90th Light Infantry

  He Departed This Life

On The 3rd February 1881

         Aged 40 Years

Deeply Regretted By His Family

           And Friends

Trooper JANES Totnes Weekly Times 10th jan. 1903

In Memory of

Staff Sergeant Instructor A. JOHNSON

Always Remembered By The Permanent Staff and His Comrades

Of C. Company Burma Railways Battalion

Toungoo Burma 



In Undying memory of A Dear Son and Brother

S.S. I. Albert JOHNSON (Tricky)

Regt. and Burma A.F.I.

Born 20th December 1896 Died 15th February1928


Age 31


Burial record 2114 Church of England

Annie JOHNSON late Infant School Mistress lived at no 132 Portswood Rd Southampton and was buried on November 27th 1913. No headstone.

In Loving memory Of


Late Regimental Sergt. Major

2nd Dragoon Guards

Died January 29th 1913 aged 67

Death Hides But It Cannot Divide

-------- ----- -------??



His wife Annie has a headstone.

Sacred To The Memory Of


Widow of Owen Johnson

Late Regimental Sergt Major

2nd Dragoon Guards

For many years Army Schoolmistress at Netley

Died November 24th 1913 aged 62 years



Owen and Annie (nee McGowan) were married in Woolwich in 1873. They had one son. They lived in Netley for the last 30 years of their lives. Annie was born in Montreal Canada.

In Loving Memory Of


Private 55th Regt.

Who Died September 29th 1877 aged 38 years

Them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him

               In Ever Loving Memory of

                    My darling husband

        Major Thomas Morland JOHNSON IAOC

Who was called away suddenly on February 1st 1936

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died

In Loving Memory of Conductor Ronald JOHNSTONE

Ordnance Dept of India died April 26th 1906 age 38

In Loving Memory Of

Alfred Henry JORDAN

Company Sergeant Major

   Royal Engineers

Who Died October 22nd 1896

   Aged 42 Years


Gone But Not Forgotten

Pte. KEARL Shields Daily News 13th May 1909

3770977 C.Q.M.S.


The King's Regiment

Died 10th February 1953 Age 36


His Duty Fearlessly

And Nobly Done

Ever Remembered


Daniel was living at 25 Married Families Camp Westbourne, Emsworth when he died.

  In Memory Of

  Sergt. C. KEMP

1st. Battalion 3rd Regiment

    The Buffs

Late  of Hillbutts, Dorset

Died on 3rd August 1876 aged 26




 On The Hope Of A

Joyous Resurrection

In Memory Of John Mackenzie KENNEDY

Major and Paymaster

Royal Victoria Hospital

Died 16th July 1866 aged 68

Also his son William Chesborough Le Poer Kennedy

Curate of Dawlish

Died 20th September 1865 aged 29





I found a family tree on and contacted the very nice owner, Angus Petrie. Major John Mackenzie Kennedy is his 3 x Great Grandfather. Angus has very kindly sent me some photographs and research that he has done.

Hampshire Telegraph 30th September 1865.

Major John Mackenzie Kennedy (1798 – 1866), Paymaster for the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley

John Mackenzie Kennedy served in the army for fifty two years. He was born into a doctor’s family in Inverness on 13th March 1798. He began his duties aged fifteen serving first with His Majesty’s 76th Regiment of Foot, the Immortals, mostly in Canada. His manuscript account was used in the regimental history to tell the story of actions against the United States forces. He became the regimental paymaster in 1828 and after some years in Ireland was posted to St. Lucia in 1834. In 1835 he served in Grenada and Dominica. The following year he was serving in Jamaica and transferred to the His Majesty’s 22nd Regiment of Foot, the Cheshire Regiment, as paymaster. From 1837 to 1840 he was mostly in Ireland. He then went to the Bombay in India before joining General Napier’s campaign to the Scinde. He was awarded the Scinde medal for the action at Hyderabad. After the annihilation of Her Majesty’s 44th Regiment of Foot he transferred to it and served in Ireland whilst the regiment was built up to strength.

He foresaw that he would have to return to India and on account of his wife’s health and her sorrow at the recent death of a son wrote asking for a position on the Staff as paymaster. He worked in this capacity firstly at Maidstone at the cavalry depot, then in Scotland on recruiting duties, and next at Chatham with the Invalid units. His final post was at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley where he served as a paymaster until his death in 1866.

He married Emma Georgiana Maryanne Evans, the sister of a fellow regimental officer, Henry Evans, They had two sons Wardlaw Randall Mackenzie Kennedy who joined Her Majesty’s 1st Regiment of Foot, the Royal Regiment, and died young in Antigua and William Chessborough Le Poer Kennedy who took an M. A. at Trinity college Dublin and joined the Church of England, serving as Curate of Dawlish in Devon. He died aged 29 and is buried with his father.

Three of his brothers died whilst serving in the British armies. His younger brother James Scott Kennedy died aged fourteen years at Quatre Bras, as an Ensign of the Royal Regiment, carrying the regimental colours. He posthumously received the Waterloo medal. His eldest brother joined the Honourable East India Company’s Bengal Army serving as Captain in the light cavalry seeing action in the third Mahratta war at Nagpur but died at Mhow in 1822. His other brother Hugh Scott Kennedy joined the Honourable East India Company’s Madras army and served in that Presidency for ten years but died on the voyage home.

My very grateful thanks to Angus for this information.


In Loving memory of

Mathew KILEY

aged 60 years

and of Elisabeth his wife

aged 55 years

both of whom died on 25th February 1905


Though Art Not Forgotten Father And Mother

Nor Ever Shalt Thou Be

As Long As Life And Memory Last

Will We Remember Thee

Burial record no 725 for them both at the same time

1901 census has a Mathew Kiley aged 59, a Barrack Labourer and his wife Bridget age 59 living at the hospital. Both were born in Ireland

They were there previously in 1891 with daughter Margaret aged 14.

In 1881 census, Mathew, Bridget (Elisabeth), children Sarah 15, Edward 9 and Margaret aged 4 were at Hilsea Barracks. Mathew was a Bomb. Collar maker

William Ernest Charles KNIGHTS died at sea onboard S.S. Laurentic. He was buried in Netley on 31st December 1936 and was aged 27.


Royal Artillery

Who Died At This Hospital.



Erected By His Comrades Of The

21st Medium Battery R.A.

In Memory Of


Died November 10th 1878

Aged 30 Years

6180623 Corporal


The Queens

Royal Surrey Regiment

Died 22nd August 1961 Age 40


Thoughts Go Back

To Happy Days

Life Goes On

Memories Stay R.I.P.



Edward James was living at the Victoria Barracks, Caterbury at the time of his death.

Major Freeling Ross LAWRENCE died 1914

See Burials with Medals and Awards

   Arthur LEAHY

Colonel Royal Engineers

Seventh Son Of John Leahy J.P.

Of South Hill Killarney

Born August 5th 1830

Died in Netley Hospital

  July 13th 1879

From Fever Contracted

While On Duty At Gibraltar



From Wikisource

Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 32

                                 Leahy, Arthur

by Robert Hamilton Vetch Leahy, Edward Daniel

LEAHY, ARTHUR (1830-1878), colonel royal engineers, seventh son of John Leahy, esq., J.P., of South Hill, Killarney, was born 5 Aug. 1830, and educated at Corpus Christi Hall, Maidstone, and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich. He obtained a commission as lieutenant in the royal engineers on 27 June 1848, and, after completing his military studies at Chatham, was quartered in Ireland until 1853, and after that at Corfu.

On the outbreak of the war with Russia in 1854, he joined the army at Varna and proceeded with it to the Crimea. He was present at the battles of Alma and Inkerman. During the early part of the siege he was acting adjutant, ana in charge of the engineer park of the left attack under Major (now General Sir) Frederick Chapman. In managing the park and the engineer transport train he first had an opportunity of showing his characteristic energy and industry. As the winter set in Leahy was appointed deputy-assistant quartermaster-general for the royal engineers. In the 'Journal of the Siege Operations.' published by authority, Leahy is credited with invaluable services in providing for the comfort and proper maintenance of the engineer troops. He received the Crimean war medal with three clasps, the Sardinian medal, the Turkish war medal and the 5th class of the Medjidie.

From the Crimea he returned to Corfu in and became a second captain on 2 Dec. His brevet majority for service in the Crimea, which he received some time after, was antedated 8 Dec. 1857. He returned home early in 1858, was stationed for a short time at Woolwich, and in June was appointed to the staff of the inspector-general of fortifications at the war office. In 1864 he became assistant-director of works in the fortification branch of the war office. When he went to the war office the defence of the home arsenals and dockyards had become a matter of urgency, and tie defence loan, the result of the royal commission on the defences of the United Kingdom of 1859, provided the necessary funds. The work thrown upon the fortification branch was enormous, and Leahy's share of it large. In addition to his regular work, he was a member of many committees, and in 1870 was secretary of that presided over by Lord Lansdowne on the employment of officers of royal engineers in the civil departments of the state.

Leahy was employed at the Paris Exhibition of 1867, and made three able reports, which were published, on military hospitals and barrack buildings, on field hospital equipment, and on military telegraphy and signalling. He became a brevet lieutenant-colonel on 29 Nov. 1868. In July 1871 he was appointed instructor of field works at the School of Military Engineering at Chatham, and owing to his efforts the instruction in fieldworks and kindred subjects was made available not only for the whole regular army but also for the militia and volunteers, it was also due to his initiative that classes for pioneer sergeants of infantry were introduced, and he himself prepared the official manual for their instruction. He took considerable interest in the field park and its workshops, and brought them into a high state of efficiency. He was promoted to be regimental lieutenant-colonel 10 Dec. 1873, and in March 1876 was sent to Gibraltar as second in command of the royal engineers. He was promoted brevet-colonel 1 Oct. 1877. The following year he was attacked by Rock fever, was taken home, and died on 18 July 1878 at Netley Hospital, Southampton. Leahy was twice married, first in 1857 to Miss Tabuteau, by whom he had two children ; and secondly to Miss E. J. Poynter, by whom he had five children. He was the author of a pamphlet on army reorganisation, 1868, 8vo.

[Corps Records; Royal Engineers Journal, vol. ix.]

R. H. V.



From National Portrait Gallery
Merthyr Telegraph 19th July 1878

Late Sjt G.E. LEAHY

Ex. Royal Army

Medical Corps.

21 Years Service


Died 19th July 1917

Aged 54


Peace Perfect Peace



Robert Ernest Gerald



There is a 1911 census for Ernest Leahy age 50 who is living with his wife Mary Elizabeth age 42 at no 79 Butlocks Heath Netley. Ernest is a Fitter's Labourer. They have had 12 children of whom 8 are still living.

Print | Sitemap
© Julie Green

This website was created using IONOS MyWebsite.