Pte. J.R. ADDERLEY The Daily Tribune 10th December 1916


Flintshire Observer Mining Journal 11th Nov 1915

Staff Nurse B. ATKINSON Royal British Nurses Association, Brockenhurst Military Hospital.

Mrs. F.J. Atkinson was informed that her daughter received the Royal Red Cross Medal for "Devotion to Service" from His Majesty the King, whilst she was in bed recouperating.

Nurse Atkinson was for six years at Kalyra, Belair, and completed her training at the Adelaide hospital. Before proceeding to England to join the Royal British Nursing Association, she practised her profession in Western Australia for several years. Nurse Atkinson is at present an inmate at Netley suffering from a breakdown due to overwork. She is to be invalided home.


The Observer newspaper

Chronicle 23rd December 1916
The Register 13th December 1916

My thanks to Gary Atkinson for sharing his Grandfather's story 


PTE 20451 Samuel ATKINSON Lancashire Fusiliers Born 25th August 1895 Heywood Lancashire Enlisted for WW1 on 16 August 1916 , 1 day after is 21st birthday .

Served 2 years 5 months Battles Arras / Ehpy / Messines Ridge . He was wounded twice Wounded 14 Sept 1917 , In Hospital with gunshot wounds to his right side , also wounded 19 April 1918 gunshot wounds through left arm.
Was lucky he wasn't court martialled - he disobeyed a direct order 7 Times with charges ! No pension records left. He still came back twice after pretty serious wounds. He even did a bit of a Douglas Bader and falsified his records so he could escape from the hospital while wounded. .I suppose he'd been shot by the Germans twice so had got to the point where he didn't give a monkeys if he was shot by his own side. He was AWOL 6 times.That's quite a lot if you think about it - people has been Shot At Dawn for less. He must. have been a good soldier to keep being taken back with a charge rather than a court martial.Must have been Valued by his CO
On his return back to Address 47 Wild Street Bamford Heywood .
After the war Coal Digger ( delivery rounds man )
Samuel married Mary Ann Banner 17th Oct 1925 in Heywood,,
Died 10th Feb 1954
Cause of Death Lobar Pneumonia
Address on Death 6 back May St Heywood ,Lancs
Buried in Heywood Cemetery .

I never knew my Grandfather Samuel Atkinson , I was born in 1966 , Finding a lot about him by researching my family history and knowing he was at Netley Hospital with his wounds , Hopefully will have a visit to the Netley Hospital in the near future .

Gunner Leslie Gordon Barnes. Liverpool Echo 28th September 1917
Pte. J. BATTLE Kent and Sussex Courier 28th May 1915

Driver William BLENCO Rushden Echo, 22nd December, 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis

Rushden Soldier Injured - Driver William Blenco Kicked by a Horse
Mr. and Mrs. Blenco, of 10, Woburn-place, Rushden, have received news that their second son, Driver William Blenco, of the Royal Horse Artillery, is in the British Red Cross Hospital, Netley, suffering from an injury to the right knee caused by a kick from a horse. He suffered a similar accident some time ago when he was kicked in the back, but his injuries were not then sufficiently serious to warrant his being sent home.
The injured soldier has written to say that he is able to sit in a chair, but not for long, as he knee soon begins to ache when he gets out of bed.
Driver Blenco enlisted on August 16th, 1915, and had been at the front about a year. Prior to joining up he was employed by Messrs. Eaton & Co., boot manufacturers, Rushden. He has just turned 19 years of age.

Pte. R. BOWEN Manchester Evening News 14th November 1914

Edwin Stephen BRIAR was in the Northumberland Fusiliers. On 9th April 1917 he was wounded in the chest and lay in no man's land for over 24 hours until he was found and treated in hospital at Rouen before being sent to Netley. He died in 1964 aged 72 years.


From Voysey family tree on Ancestry, thanks Jill.


Rowland Edgar BROADBENT no. 12600 Corporal in the 11th Field Ambulance.

He was gassed and burned in May 1918 in France. After spending time in the hospital, he was discharged as medically unfit and returned to Australia in 1918.

He died June 1st 1947 in Gawler, SA.


From Kerryl Gardner and




Corby BUNTING kindly gave me permission to use a photograph of his father James who was wounded in the left arm during the battle of Gavrelle on the 23rd April 1917.

He says; "Shrapnel entered just behind his left elbow leaving an eight inch cut up to the triceps and exiting along the forearm. It fractured the ulna and took the end off the humerus. He was hospitalised at Wimereux and on 26th May departed on the hospital ship St. Denis for Victoria Hospital, Netley, Southampton. James spent six months in hospitals. The time was spent between the Welsh Hospital unit, Netley Hospital and convalescing across the water at the West Cliff Hotel, Hythe.

In November 1918 he was declared unfit for service and discharged after 4 years and 82 days.The wound, which never healed, caused problems all his life. Quite often it flared up and needed hot fermentations and poultices. My sister Annie became an expert. When he became fit for work and had regained some of the grip in his left hand, the first job he tried was boot repairing but later he found work on the docks.


My father came down to Southampton and stayed two weeks in 1962 in which time we showed him around the sights. He never once mentioned the fact that he stayed in Netley or Hythe (where I now live) I later obtained all of his records from the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton including medical and all appearances at judicial hearings when he fought for compensation. He was discharged from Netley 50% disabled. His final settlement was 30% disabled £2.4s.2d paid into a post office account for life. There was no evidence of this in his will in 1967"


Fred BUTCHER is on the back row with his arm in a sling. Maureen Bartlett says via Ancestry:

Fred was my grandfather, he was injured in a battle in France in August 1918 where he had most of his left upper arm shot away, but recovered well.

After he left Netley he was repatriated back to Canada. In 1922 he returned back to the Isle of Wight.

Charles Woodward CARR

Charles Woodward CARR was recovering at Netley after being shot in the leg.

Charles' daughter Gill Porter explains that this was when "Dad was recovering from being shot in the leg", during the the attack of the 2/5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment on Pond Farm during the battle of Paschendale. He is wearing hospital uniform. However, Mrs Porter clearly remembers her father explaining that "he almost died of blood poisoning apparently from the dye in the stripes of the hospital pyjamas or night shirt! He'd survived his wounds but almost died of septicemia!" Mrs Porter also explains that Netley's Royal Victoria Military Hospital on Southampton Water is the subject of a book by Philip Hoare "Spike Island: the memory of a military hospital", Forth Estate: 2001.

Part of large collection of photos and memoribilia relating to Serjeant 3091 (later 240965) Charles Woodward Carr, 2/5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment - kept by Mrs Gill Porter and Mr Tony Carr of their father.

'This item is from The Great War Archive, University of Oxford (; © [Alan Edwards]'.


Harold William CHIVERTON was onboard the Australian medical transport ship HMAT Warilda bound for Southampton in 1918. It was torpedoed and sunk by a German u-boat with many lives lost. Harold was picked up and taken to Netley along with other survivors.

He died in 1978 aged 84.

From the Chipperton family tree on Ancestry.   


Pte. Charles Edward CLARKE. 

The Rushden Echo, 11th August 1916, transcribed by Gill Hollis.
Seven Serious Wounds - Rushden Soldier Under a Terrible Fire
Four Comrades Killed on the Spot - Cheerful in Spite of Injuries.

We regret to report that Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Clarke, of 78 Cromwell-road, Rushden, have received news that their son, Pte Charles Edward Clarke, of the Northants Regiment, was severely wounded on July 19th. He is now in Netley Hospital and thither his parents journeyed to see him last Saturday. They found him suffering from no fewer than seven very bad wounds, but remarkably cheerful considering his severe injuries. He has one wound on the chin, another in the chest, and another in the left leg. His right leg and foot are very badly injured, and his little toe and part of the foot have been shot away. His right arm is shattered, and the bones shockingly splintered. He received his injuries, so he told his parents, whilst he and six comrades were preparing breakfast. The enemy sent over a perfect barrage of shells. Four of his comrades were killed on the spot and he and one other received severe wounds. He has been on the western front since July 16th, 1915, so he received his wounds within three days of the anniversary of his arrival in France. Mr. and Mrs. Clarke have two other sons in the Army – Pte F. Clarke, of the Machine Gun Section, Northants Regiment, who has been at the front twelve months, and has had no leave, and Pte Herbert Clarke, who joined the same battalion but who was transferred to another regt., and who has been in Egypt since Jan. 28th this year. Two sons-in-law are also in the army but at present have not been sent to the fighting area.

Albert CLARKSON was badly wounded in 1918 and thought to be dead so a letter of condolence was sent to his wife Florence. Shortly after, she received another letter saying that he was alive and he was sent to Netley where he recovered.

They emmigrated to Australia in the 1920's where he died around 1958.

From the Clarkson family tree on Ancestry

  19258 Driver Leonard Leslie Coleman A.I.F came to Netley on 4th February 1919.   


Surrey Mirror and County Post September 13th 1918
William is in the middle of the photo under the blue cross

William Henry COOK joined the R.F.A. in 1915. He was at Netley in 1919 because he was suffering from shell shock after fighting near the River Tigress. It affected him for the rest of his life.

He had previously met and married Lilian Prin in 1908 and they had 9 children over the years. In 1946 whilst he was working at Portsmouth Dockyard, he fell off a plamk and a bag of rivets fell on his head. A few weeks later he sadly died. He is buried in Kingston Cemetery Portsmouth with his wife.


Thank you to Phil on ancestry for the information and lovely photos.

At Netley possibly. William is seated with the dog.
William and Lilian
William Henry Cook
Mr CUNNINGHAM Portsmouth Evening news 17th August 1938

William George CURTIS was in the Royal East Kent Regiment and enlisted in 1916. He received a gunshot wound to the left thigh on 10th August 1918, fracturing his leg. He was taken to Netley hospital where his brother Philip Henry had been some years earlier (See Passing Through - Convalescents Earlier Wars) and was declared no longer fit for war service. He was awarded a pension and an allowance for his 5 children.

From the Curtis family tree on Ancestry.



William Amos CUTTING was a patient at Netley. His grandson Alan, sent me some information about him for which I am very grateful.


Hi Julie, the little I know is that he was in the West Yorkshire Regiment which I believe had the horse on their cap badge and he was in the Somme...He was shot in the trenches by one of his own fellow soldiers who was a new recruit apparently cleaning his rifle at the time..He was shipped back to Netley where he apparently spent 4 years getting better after having his leg amputated...His nurse married him and I think her maiden name was Dennis a family who hailed from Southampton she had a brother called Walter and another who I do not have a name for lost on the Titanic but not on passenger list that I can see....Poor woman had eight children and died at age of 34 years giving birth to youngest child...My Grandfather died in 1968 in a Norwich hospital after a long illness I was 17 years old then but obviously wish I could talk to him now I am older and wiser!!..They lived together in Brewery Road, Trunch, North Norfolk.



After some research, I found that  William married his nurse Beatrice Dennes who came from Swaythling. Also, she had an uncle Frederick Benham who is maybe the man who went down on the Titanic.


Alan kindly sent me a photo of Beatrice, believed to have been taken at Netley.

Lce.Cpl. T.R. DARKE was at Netley for over a year. Reading Mercury 14th August 1915.

Pte. James DOWLING The Netley British Red Cross Hospital Magazine June 1918

from Netley Hospital heritage Group archive
June 25th 1918 Lexington Leader

Minnie DREWITT was at Netley in WW1 and claimed that she had served in the war as a soldier

The Courier and Advertiser May 1st 1929
Pte. Thomas FAIRBAIRN Southern Reporter 1st April 1915
gunner George FINLAY Liverpool Echo 1st August 1916

Frederick FURSE was sent to Netley with dysentary and rheumatic fever. 

Ernest GAFFEY was born in New South Wales in 1898. His parents were Patrick and Jane Gaffey. Ernest enlisted with the AIF when he was underage and his parents requested that he was discharged. Six months later, he enlisted again stating that his parents were deceased.

Ernest was taken to Netley after being wounded at the Battle of Emptsa. He later married and his wife and 2 daughters sadly died of influenza leaving him with a son who he reluctantly had to put in an orphanage.

Ernest died at the age of 42 in 1940 in New South Wales.


From the Australian Light Horse Studies Centre.


Alfred HACKETT was wounded in 1917 and was at Netley for some time. Here are some photos of him while he was there and also his obituary from 1950. My thanks to Kath Hackett.

Alfred is is on the left next to the nurse on the back row
Pte. William HALL. Dorking & Leatherhead Advertiser 18th September 1915

Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser 25/07/1941

25 YEARS AGO. Wounded. Sergeant P. W. HANCOCKS. l/7th Royal Warwickshire Regiment, son of Mr. J. Hancocks. Warwick, is now in a Netley Hospital recovering from a shrapnel wound in the right foot, received in action on July 1. Last October Sergeant Hancocks was reported for distinguished conduct in the field, and was also mentioned in Sir John French’s last despatch from Prance. Second-Lieut. W. Godfrey-Payton. Second-Lieutenant Walter Godfrey-Payton. who was wounded in the recent fighting, and whose condition at the commencement of the week caused some anxiety, is now making good progress.— July 22. 1916.

Gerald Courtney Cecil HARDINGHAM spent some time in Netley suffering from shell shock. Thank you to his grandaughter Sarah Hetherington.

Private W HARVEY Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 16th January 1915

William HEALEY








Here are 2 photographs of Brian Mayer's grandfather William Healey who was in Netley in 1917.  In the first photo, he is on the right hand side, on the second photo, he is on the left.

My thanks to Brian.

Hodge Edward Lanyon

Sophie replied to me on my Facebook page in May 2023 when I asked if anyone had any members of the family that were treated at Netley. 

Her great great uncle Ted was there in WWI.

Here is a link to her story:


Thank you Sophie.

Pte. W.T. HUGHES Cambrian News 19th October 1917
Print | Sitemap
© Julie Green

This website was created using IONOS MyWebsite.