The men of the Army Hospital Corps were instructed at Netley by Staff Assistant Surgeon Andrew Moffitt. Moffit served on the staff of the Royal Victoria Hospital for five years. In 1870, he compiled a manual of instruction for attendants on sick and wounded in war. The manual became the standard text for the AHC, but was also adopted by the National Society for Aid to the Sick and Wounded. The men were trained in the transport of the wounded on stretchers and in various ways of carrying wounded men by one bearer, and two or more bearers, when no regular conveyances were available. They were also trained in the use of the wheeled stretcher, which had been invented by a sergeant of the AHC, and in carrying men with broken limbs in and out of ambulance wagons.